Why Buy From Us?
This is a business run by ornithologists, for ornithologists. When you purchase from the AFO at our Avian Research Supplies online store, you will:
- Help Support Research: Proceeds support research grants for students, amateurs, and Latin American ornithologists.
- Save Money: AFO members receive a 10% discount.
- Banding tools
- Leg gauges
VISIT OUR ONLINE STORE FOR YOUR BANDING SUPPLY NEEDS
About AFO Banding Supplies
The Association of Field Ornithologists sells the highest-quality Japanese mist nets and other supplies. Cheaper mist nets can be found, but they are of lower quality, and/or are manufactured to supply unethical bird traders. AFO sells nets only for scientific purposes and only to individuals and institutions that are licensed to use them.
All nets are made of black nylon (except ATXs is made of sand-colored nylon and KTX is made of black polyester thread) and are tethered to prevent bunching in a breeze. In the specifications below, height is as designated by our manufacturer (users should allow slack in order to form shelf pockets). Mesh size figures are stretched netting, i.e. the longest possible distance. Denier indicates the weight of thread (lower is lighter and less visible to birds). All yarn is two-ply, except ETX (four ply).
Choice of Mist Net Types
Net choice is partly a matter of personal preference, but here are some general guides. In general, use 12 meter types if you have the space, and 6 meter only where space is limited. The best mesh size depends on the species to be captured. No one size is efficient for all sizes of birds; outside the proper range of size, the net may be inefficient, become tangled, or birds may damage the net.
- 24 mm – Specialty size for kinglets and smallest wood warblers
- 30 mm -Recommended for wood warblers in general. The line of peak efficiency between this and 36mm falls between birds taking U.S. band size 1 or less (30mm) and those taking 1B or larger (36mm). (See Bird Banding 37:280-286.)
- 36 mm – General purpose size for small birds (see above).
- 61 mm – Doves, grackles, medium-sized shorebirds, the largest thrushes
- 121 mm – Grouse, large shorebirds, small to medium-sized ducks and hawks
Prices and Shipping
Shipping costs are extra and can be provided at the time of your order. We make every effort to deliver by the desired date, but requests should consider the limitations of the postal or other carrier services. Note that we do not ship via freight forwarders or consolidators.
Please note that our prices may change when our costs change. If you need a firm price quote it would be best to check by contacting us shortly before placing your order. Maine customers should add sales tax (currently 5.5%) unless exempt under law.
For Shipments Outside the U.S., the Purchaser Must:
- arrange any import license or other formalities;
- pay any customs duties or other charges levied by his or her country; and
- send full payment in U.S. dollars for the nets with the order.
Postage costs will be billed later in a separate invoice. If you are a new customer from outside the U.S. or Canada, we also require a letter describing how the nets will be used. Your letter should identify the person responsible for use of the nets. We also require a copy of any permits required by your country for capturing wild birds. If no permits are required, then please provide us with the names, addresses, and telephone/fax numbers of 3 professional wildlife experts who are familiar with your work. If possible, please include one name of an ornithologist or person known by international conservation organizations.
Placing Your Order
Please visit our online store.
NOTE: All persons ordering nets must provide their permit number. Institutional purchasing agents should name the individual(s) responsible for use of the nets and provide their permit number. AFO sells nets only for scientific purposes, and only to individuals and institutions that appear qualified to use them. We will decline sales where qualifications appear inadequate or unproven. Nets will not be sold for purposes such as control of the numbers of birds, for commercial collection, or for resale.
For further information, contact: